All posts by Frances Nilsson

Walking Tours Sept. 7 & 14

Transformations in Marblehead & St. Michael’s Church
1714 > 1793 > 1814 > 1833 > 2014
Judy Anderson will lead walking tours to benefit St. Michael’s
Sunday, September 7 at 4 pm
Sunday, September 14 at 4 pm
Meet in front of St. Michael’s entrance on Summer St.

Loading Map....

Date/Time
Sun 09/07/2014 -
Sun 09/14/2014
4:00 pm - 5:30 pm

Location
St. Michael's Episcopal Church

Categories


Judy Anderson
Judy Anderson

Judy Anderson will lead us on a walking tour looking at

  • how Marblehead grew after 1714 when St. Michael’s was built with its 50-foot steeple
  • how houses changed after the American Revolution (1775-1781/83) & the War of 1812
  • how St. Michael’s changed in 1833 to a Gothic Revival style

Your donation of $10 per person will go toward the construction of St. Michael’s steeple which was set in place on Thursday, August 28th.

Steeple Raising Thurs Aug 28 at 12:15 pm

Join us on Thursday, August 28th at 12:15 pm as St. Michael’s new steeple is lifted onto the bell tower. Cake will be served on the lawn afterwards as the spire is being secured. The weathervane will then be placed on top later in the afternoon.

Loading Map....

Date/Time
Thu 08/28/2014
12:00 am

Location
St. Michael's Episcopal Church

Categories No Categories


Work on repairs to the bell tower is proceeding on schedule and structural reinforcement put in place. See photos at our Flickr site. Fencing for the roof has already arrived and the spire itself will arrive in 3 parts on Wednesday, August 27.

On Thursday morning, August 28th, Summer Street will be blocked at the church while the 3 parts are unloaded. Then the base will be assembled, raised and secured. After brief speeches at about 12:15 pm, the top part of the spire will be raised about 12:30 pm. All are invited for celebratory cake on the lawn at about 1:00 pm. Once the spire is secured, the weathervane will be attached, in the mid-afternoon.

St. Michael’s Exhibit

300 Years Serving a Community
St. Michael’s Church
1714 – 2014

Three towers outline St. Michael’s history from the origins of its design and key aspects in the 18th Century through changes in the 19th and key developments in the 20th.  A fourth tower highlights St. Michael’s music, children, serving others and remembering our forefathers and mothers.  The three towers were on display at the Old Town House Memorial Day weekend with portraits, documents and related items.  The towers were again displayed at the Peabody Essex Museum during the symposium while the fourth tower and various artifacts were displayed at the symposium.  The fourth tower will be up for the Lobster Lunch and all four will stand together once renovations are complete.

<

March 29: An Antiques Appraisal Event “What’s It Worth?”

How much is that precious heirloom from your great aunt? Has your collectible increased in value? Bring 1 for $10 or 3 items for $25 to St. Michael’s Church on Saturday, March 29, 1pm- 5 pm for an verbal appraisal from Kaminski’s Auctions. Proceeds will benefit St. Michael’s 300th Anniversary. RSVP to office@stmichaels1714.org. Details below.

Loading Map....

Date/Time
Sat 03/29/2014
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Location
St. Michael's Episcopal Church

Categories


Antiquest Appraisal Event poster

 

April 30: Edward Nilsson on Architecture of St. Michael’s

The Architecture of St. Michael’s: English and Dutch Antecedents

Marblehead historian Samuel Roads stated that “The frame and all the materials used in the construction of the building were brought from England.” But not in the way Roads meant. Ed Nilsson, local architect with a keen interest in architectural history, co-chair of St. Michael’s Property Management Committee and a former Senior Warden of the church, speculates that the builders of St. Michael’s in 1714 were aware of the significance and meaning of the form that their religious building would take. This visual essay will explore possible 17th century English and Dutch antecedents of the church, one that is unique in American ecclesiastical architecture. It will also look at later 19th century modifications to the building that renewed the worship environment to the liturgical practices of the day.

Loading Map....

Date/Time
Wed 04/30/2014
7:30 pm

Location
St. Michael's Episcopal Church

Categories


photo of Edward NilssonEd Nilsson is founder and principal of Nilsson + Siden Associates, Inc., Architects & Planners in Salem and serves on St. Michael’s Historic Church and Tercentenary Committees, the Marblehead Planning Board and the board of Historic Salem Inc.   His architectural work includes the adaptive reuse of the Charlestown Naval Yard and the development of Crosby’s Marketplace in Marblehead. He will be presenting a paper titled “No Place Like Home–Huxtable’s Ranch House as Her Housing Ideal” at the April 2014 Annual Meeting of the Society of Architectural Historians, Austin, Texas.

March 11: Robert Booth on “Who Filled the Pews 1714-1750?”

“Who Filled the Pews in St. Michael’s Church: 1714-1750?”

Robert Booth, author and researcher of original home owners in Marblehead, continues our lecture series on Tuesday, March 11 at 7:30 pm with a look at parishioners of St. Michael’s 1714-1750.

St. Michael Church’s first parishioners were different in many ways from most other Marbleheaders. To be Anglican was to embrace a different religious tradition from that of the rest of the town and the rest of New England, and to risk being marginalized by the town’s merchant employers, shipmasters, and shoremen, most of whom belonged to the First and Second Churches (post-Puritan Congregational). Who were the individuals and families who chose St. Michael’s, the poorest and smallest congregation in town? Why did they do so, and how did they fit into a place that was evolving from a depressed fishing town to a rich seaport?

Loading Map....

Date/Time
Tue 03/11/2014
7:30 pm

Location
St. Michael's Episcopal Church

Categories


3-11-2014robertbooth-smRobert Booth, Executive Director of the national Center for Clinical Social Work, is a resident of Marblehead and the author of the book Death of an Empire: The Rise and Murderous Fall of Salem, America’s Richest City, which won the New England Society of New York’s award as best book about New England published in 2011.

March 16: Nancy Granert Performs from Buxtehude, Bach, Satie and more

Our Tercentenary organ recital series continues Sunday, March 16 at 5:00 p.m. with a concert by Nancy Granert, organist at both Boston’s Emmanuel Church and the Central Reform Temple of Boston. The concert is open to the public with a suggested donation of $10 benefiting the Recital Series Fund. A light reception follows the concert.

Among the pieces Ms. Granert will perform are Praeludium in G minor by Dietrich Buxtehude; Sonata 5 in C major by C. P. E Bach; Prelude on “I love to tell the story” by Carson Cooman (b 1982); and pieces by Schumann, Woodman, Satie and J. S. Bach. Her full program can be seen at St. Michael’s main site.

Loading Map....

Date/Time
Sun 03/16/2014
5:00 pm

Location
St. Michael's Episcopal Church

Categories


photo of Nancy GranertNancy Granert is the organist at Boston’s Emmanuel Church and Central Reform Temple of Boston. She served as Associate Organist and Choirmaster at Harvard, first with John Ferris, and then with Murray Somerville. During that time the Harvard University Choir released five CDs on which she is heard as accompanist and in solo works. She is still serving the church as its financial director.

Ms. Granert has spent three summers in Castello d’Empuries, Santiago de Compostela, and Salamanca in Spain, pursuing scholarly studies of Iberian organ music with Montserrat Torrent. Her interest in this area has taken her to Mexico several times to see and play many historic instruments. She has taught courses in the Interpretation of Spanish Organ Music in Oaxaca, Mexico. She has spent three weeks in Japan, giving several organ recitals in Tokyo and Nagoya, and participated in the International Organ Festival held in Nagoya and Shirakawa. She served as Dean of the Boston Chapter, American Guild of Organists from 1988–90 and as Treasurer for the National Convention held in Boston in June 1990.

  Nancy Granert received her undergraduate education at Oberlin College, studying organ with Garth Peacock and harpsichord with David Boe and William Porter.  She received her Master of Music degree from the New England Conservatory of Music, studying under Yuko Hayashi.